DROP THE TRENDS
Welcome to Recycled Interiors & The Hub - Australia's Home For Sustainable, Eco & Vintage Decorating & Design! We are unique because you will find our fabulous blog full of ideas, tips & inspiration; our Sustainable Home Hub, where you can find sustainable designers, builders, decorators and products for your home, in your area; and our wonderful online store, packed with vintage items; handmade, locally sourced homewares; eco friendly cleaning and green living products; ethical and fair trade pieces, and more.
Recycled Interiors is Australia's Home For Sustainable, Eco & Vintage Decorating and your go-to resource for being sustainable, healthy and happy at home. We are all about encouraging and inspiring you to create a home & life you love, that is better for you and the planet.
They say your home is your castle. No matter how big or small, whether it has cracks and knocks, needs some work or is perfect the way it is – your home is YOURS.
Whether you rent, buy, or live at home, you have the right to create a space that makes you feel happy and secure.
Be grateful for having a home and NEVER let anyone tell you that you are “outdated” or that you are just not “on trend”. Each small step you take makes a difference to the health of our planet, you, your family and your home. It is all connected.
Home does not mean the same thing to everyone. But we all have the same basic need for a home, for shelter and a place in the world we call ours.
Your home should nurture and hold those who live in it, and it should work with the environment in which it stands, not against it. ost importantly, your home is about the people who live there. Your health and happiness are connected to the way you live, and the way you live is connected to the health of the planet.
SHOP RECYCLED INTERIORS
Recycled Interiors online store is full of wonderful, ethically made homewares, bedding, rugs, kitchenware, vintage and collectibles, upcycled homewares, plastic alternatives and eco cleaning, and more. Join our Recycled Club to earn dollars each time you shop. Head here for more.
CREATING CONNECTED COMMUNITY
When you see the beauty in the rough, stories underneath the knocks and bangs, layers of life etched into the patina of a thing, you realise the value in everything. Our community know this, and there is so much to be gained from connecting with likeminded souls.
- A throw away world that values only the new, the trendy, the things of mass consumption, sold to us by those who set those very trends, loses so many things.
- A world where power and money making drive consumption forgets to notice and value what really matters, and leaves damage in its wake.
- Value the old, the things that have stood the test of time, the ones which feel loved under your fingers, tell stories of people past.
- Most importantly always value people and planet first.
Think of yourself like a tree trying to shade a home. As one tree, you can make some definite impact and at certain times of the day, you will cast a strong patch of shade across the roof of the house.
But if you had a group of trees next to you, dotted around the property, you would create a forest, and this would bring far more shade, oxygen and comfort to everything that lives on the block.
On an even wider scale than that, you would contribute to the health of our planet. Together, your little forest of trees would improve the environment of the home and the lives of the people who live in it, as well as the wider world.
- We are not just growing tomatoes because it is fun, or shifting back to locally-grown food because we are wannabe hipsters.
- We are not buying furniture from locally-made woodworkers just because it is beautiful or on-trend.
- We are not upcycling and making our own cushion covers just because it is satisfying to do something yourself.
All of those things may be true, but these changes in the ways we live are ultimately contributing to reducing the damage to our planet and improving the quality of all of our lives.
The future looks bright when we all look forward together.
First and foremost I am mama to these 3 gorgeous boys (all a little older than when this photo was taken), and wife to the wonderful Mr Recycled. As a woman with type 1 diabetes, these boys are nothing short of miracles.
I am an ex counsellor and diabetes educator; award winning writer and blogger; a diabetes charity founder and Australian of the Year finalist; and a PhD Candidate and reseacher, working in my area of passion - improving pregnancy outcomes for women with diabetes.
A passionate and genuine lover of people and planet, I am here to help you feel good about yourself, your home and your everyday, while we talk all things health, happiness & sustainability. Get inspired to think before you buy, reduce your waste and lighten your footprint on the planet, while you create a happy healthy home and life you can love!
I have spent many years decorating my home in my own unique style and cherishing the stories that lie behind old stuff. I grew up with bohemian parents who valued the environment and were passionate about people and planet. I have also lived with depression and anxiety in my past, and I saw so many people also getting stressed about life, it made me want to do more. So many people are yearning to go back to a slower pace of life, to appreciate difference and connect with what matters in life – and so Recycled Interiors was born in April 2013.
I have spent my life helping, nurturing and loving human beings, animals and our earth. I am a genuine tree hugger and passionate about living a life that leaves this beautiful planet in a state that allows future generations and other creatures we share the world with, to live long and well.
I love creating, designing, homes and interiors. I am also passionate about your health and wellbeing and believe these things can not be separated.
- From when I was a little girl being banned from watching Lassie (yes really!) because I was too worried about her being left behind during the opening credits (yes that was before the show even got into the multitude of crises she faced!), to my career as a social worker, my founding of a national diabetes charity, my research, and my work at Recycled Interiors - helping people and making a difference to the world is really what floats my boat.
- I have 3 sons which is pretty amazing considering my type 1 diabetes which I have lived with since 1979. Pregnancy with type 1 diabetes is tough. I am damn proud of these 3 kids, and myself.
- I am an eternal optimist, and lover of colour and nature. I make mistakes, lots of them and I worry about what people think of me. I have always had that issue. I am waiting until I grow up to get over it.
- I DO NOT like large spiders. Just in case you were thinking of showing me any of those on your Instagram feed.
- I do however LOVE whales, please share them a lot with me.
- I have lived with depression and anxiety, which was a pretty crap place to be for an optimist. But I got through it and optimism helped. As did mindfulness.
- I am an acute op shopper (ok addict).
- I love to share, a lot, about everything.
- My favourite smell is that of rain.
- It is the blend of old and new that make my heart skip a beat.
The creation of the Sustainable Home Hub has emerged after growing our community; along with connections to industry. Acting like a bridge, we bring those 2 groups together, allowing sustainable architects, designers, decorators, landscapers; makers of furniture, homewares, textiles and art; community gardens and networks; solar companies; garden products and so on, to reach potential customers; and allowing you to search for what you need, when you need it, in one spot - to create a beautiful home you love, while treading more lightly on the planet.