Imagine sleeping in coffee! Well now you can with the launch of this range of Bamboo Coffee sheets by Ettitude. They are made from a mix of their signature bamboo lyocell fabric (which is one of the most sustainable ways to use bamboo in fabrics) couple with recycled coffee grounds turned into yarn. Sustainable Home Hubsters, Ettitude, have created this range of new high-performance, sustainable bedding that absorbs odour and dries and wicks moisture fast, to avoid the growth of bacteria – saving time, water and electricity. There are over 2.25 billion cups of coffee consumed in the world every day! The average cup of coffee, however, only utilizes a minuscule 0.2% of the coffee with the remaining 99.8% becoming coffee grounds thrown into the trash and contributing to landfill. By using S.Cafe® technology, Ettitude are able to recycle this previously wasted 99.8%, to transform coffee grounds into a yarn which can be used in bedding.
Ettitude tell me that Bamboo Coffee fabric can wick away moisture and absorb odours from your body up to 50% faster than cotton. Anti-microbial, thermos-regulating and breathable; these sheets will give you a comfortable sleep, so you will wake up feeling refreshed every morning. We have used the pillow slips and they are super soft and comfortable. The Bamboo Coffee fabric is made sustainably by repurposing 100% of recycled coffee grounds, which otherwise would end up in landfill.
These sheets are great for those suffering night sweats (like me!) as they absorb odours and wick away sweat, meaning the sheets will stay fresher for longer and inhibit the growth of bacteria. Apparently when sweat and odour pass through the fabric, it is absorbed into the micropores of the coffee yarn fibers, virtually eliminating it, allowing you to stay fresh all night and your sheets to remain cleaner for longer.
S.Cafe® coffee yarn is also used by some of the biggest athletic and adventure wear companies due to its fast drying ability. Ettitude are the first in the world to use the S.Cafe® technology in bedding. This unique bamboo coffee fabric can move moisture away from the skin to the outer surface of the fabric for a faster drying process. Imagine the structure sort of like a sponge, lots of surface area to spread, absorb and dry faster. This function is permanent and will never wash out. So bacteria will not be able to breed and grow on your sheets and create an unpleasant musty smell!
How do Coffee Grounds Turn into Yarn?
Firstly, only coffee beans which have been roasted and ground can be used to produce coffee yarn. This is because during roasting, the beans swell and the hot water removes materials clogging the space, meaning the inside of the bean expands, allowing for odour absorption and fast drying functions. After the coffee beans are ground, used in coffee making and discarded, they are reclaimed to be used to make coffee yarn. The coffee grounds are embedded onto a yarn fiber, using a low temperature, high-pressure and energy saving process.
During this process, the filaments of the fiber change and lock and embed the coffee grounds into the yarn. The yarn fiber used is made from recycled plastic water bottles, another high-tech and sustainable material. The oils in the grounds, which produce the coffee scent are also removed through a pharmaceutical process so you won’t be kept awake all night. The S.Cafe® coffee yarn (35%) is woven together with Bamboo Lyocell yarn (65%) in the fabrication process.
These two unique yarns both hold numerous eco-friendly and quality certifications. Organic Bamboo Lyocell is a cruelty-free, vegan-friendly fabric that has all the softness and smoothness of silk or high count Egyptian cotton. Some bamboo fabrics are not sustainable, due to the high amount and processing in fabrication, but the Lyocell process is different. Made with FSC-certified organic bamboo, it is also more sustainable and eco-friendly than any other new types of functional textiles. S.Cafe® Coffee Yarn holds bluesignⓇ, Cradle to Cradle and GRS (Global Recycle Standard) certifications. Both yarns and the final product pass the Oeko-Tex Standard 100 test to make sure no harmful substances remained in the products at the end of the manufacturing process.
Ettitude work closely with their manufacturing partners to make sure all products are ethically made. The factory is certified by Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production (WRAP), which is awarded based upon both internationally and nationally accepted humane workplace standards, safety, and ethical manufacturing regulations.
You can help to back this project on Kickstarter here By funding this campaign, backers can enjoy up to 30% off retail price but be quick as there are just 2 days left to get involved!